Monday, February 22, 2010

Goodnight Lance

Poem by Sara Baird

That chilly moonlit night, while our families were camping,
I shared a bed with your sister in your family's old,
creaky camper. Her incessant kicking forced me to quietly move
to the floor. “Shhh,” I told myself as the floor squeaked.
Blanket-less I shivered on the hard, cold ground.

I looked at you in your bed. I thought for several moments
about asking you. I watched you turn your body
around. I heard you sigh. You were awake! I decided then
to ask you. I crept next to your bed. “Shhh,” I
reminded myself, “don’t wake anyone up.” I looked at you.

Your eyes were closed, chest rising and falling with each
breath. I took a deep breath. There’s no turning back.
“Lance,” I whispered. “Yeah.” Another deep breath. “Can
I sleep with you?” I saw your face clearly then in the
moonlight that shown through the window. Your green eyes glowed,
you smiled, a happy smile. “Yes,” was your answer.
My stomach ached and soared at the thrill of crawling into
bed next to you.

A noise! Someone was moving! A creak rippled throughout
the trailer. Your dad! “Shhh,” you whispered in my ear
as my head rested on your arm. Silence. We made no movement,
no sound. My heart raced, my breath ragged. Your breath on
my neck sent a chill throughout my body. Would we be caught? The
trouble we would be in! My heart ached as it raced while we
laid there. Waiting. Listening. Your family breathing,
crickets chirping, the wind blowing through the trees.

No more moving. No more human sounds. We were safe.
We breathed together, sighs of relief. I felt the
warmth of the blanket as you wrapped your other arm around
me. You held me close. Your breath on my face, warm
and minty. You held my hand. Delight. “Goodnight Sara,” you
whispered. I sighed in content. “Goodnight Lance.”

Contributor’s Note: Sara Baird is a Cerro Coso student.

No comments: