Monday, February 15, 2010

The Closer

Poem by Nicole Fraijo

Fallen leaves
Oh when did it all begin?
Another day dragging as if tomorrow will never come
I try to rush my way out of it
I struggle
But it’s no use
I’m frozen
I’m in trouble

They call him Cinderello
Such an ironic name
For such pale creamy skin that never sees the sun
Or cares
He slowly drifts through life
knowingly dragging us with him
It’s torture

Snow falls on the crest of the soft ground
Everybody is paused
Frozen by his spell
Unable to answer
I call out but it is no use
No one can hear my risen voice
Where will we go?

They call him Cinderello
Such an innocent name
But his dark cascading hair speaks for the long days we are locked in
Our screams are hushed
Nobody blinks an eye
Or even looks our way
They all continue working expecting us to do the same
Suddenly we hear a malicious cackle
That condemns us

The winds blow and shake us up
We fight harder
Months go by but we dare not to give up

They call him Cinderello
They all stare into those innocent eyes
But we are the only ones who see past
All who he sucks in to his spell

We shiver
We prepare for the storm
But also the bright sunrise
For there has to be
Snow melts, things thaw
We wait

Contributor’s Note: I am a full time student at Cerro Coso Community College. I enjoy writing short stories and poetry. I also work at Burger King and have made a lot of friends there.

No comments: