Monday, March 01, 2010

Our Barbies

Poem by Laural Zimmerman

Her Barbie
Had hair that was sleek and smooth
Or braided to keep from tangling

My Barbie
Had hair that was knotted and snarled
Or braided to hide the tangles

Her Barbie
Had custom designed clothes
Outfits matching, down to the shoes

My Barbie
Had clothes ripped and torn
Outfits grimy, never any shoes

Her Barbie
Had a house with tables and matching chairs
A hand-knit carpet on the floor

My Barbie
Had a tin can table and wood block chairs
A scribble-paper carpet on the floor

Her Barbie
Drove off with Ken in her convertible
Into a world of European vacations and New Year’s Balls
And raising dogs

My Barbie
Hitched a ride in GI Joe’s Jeep
Into a world of hard hats and steel-toed boots
And raising boys

Her dogs died

My boys left

Her Ken
Drove off in her convertible
With Scooter by his side

My Joe
Kept his old jeep
With me by his side

Contributor’s Note: I am a perpetual student, although not constantly. I have three years of Environmental Science, an AA in Child Development, and am presently the Secretary/Treasurer of a family-owned business. I am married and the mother of two grown sons. I presently live in Trona, CA.

No comments: