Sunday, February 18, 2007

Whiskey Flat Days

Hello again everyone! I hope everyone in the Kern River valley managed to make it up to Whiskey Flats and enjoy the festivities. I managed to make it for a few hours but didn't have much time to spend there. For those of you who are not from the area and are not familiar with the celebration, it is an annual event held in Kernvills to celebrate the history of the town. Vendors come from al over the United States to sell their goods; everything from home-made kettle corn to clothes and art. There are also events such as a shoot-out held in the park (following the western heritage of the town) and a carnival for the kids. I got a chance to speak to one of the vendors, Paul Harding, who comes to Kernville each year from San Jose, where he and his wife sell various goods, many hand-made. They have a great website; its definitely worth checking out. All of the pictures I have here are from their booth.
It seems like there are a dwindling number of good artists and good art each year. Maybe it's just me, or maybe I'm going on the wrong days, but I think the new restrictions put on sellable goods by the Chamber of Commerce has something to do with it. A few years ago, there were two different booths that sold original paintings that were remarkable, and all I saw this year were prints. Maybe I just missed them. I do miss some of the good stuff because I always have to work all weekend. Hopefully some year I'll make it to the carnival, or catch some of the live music at Riverside Park.

1 comment:

G. S. Enns said...

Great article and pics! Every year I seem to miss this day. Maybe next year is my year.