Wednesday, March 21, 2018

We Could Be Like the Actors on T.V.

Fiction by Jennifer Jones of Cerro Coso Community College
2nd Place for College Fiction - 2017 Met Awards 

It’s funny how much someone’s voice changes when they’re going on about their new favorite thing. Yours goes higher pitched, and the words start sliding into each other. It’s almost like when you’ve had just a bit too much to drink, but with less laughing.


I’m thinking of this because you’re pacing in my living room, waving your hands around and smiling. I’m still standing here, holding your cup of coffee I made a few minutes ago. You take the cup with a quick “Thanks,” before resuming your back and forth. Perhaps I should be listening if you’re this worked up. Couch it is.

“-and, she’s just amazing, you know? Well, not that you could know since you never met her.”

I should’ve been paying attention because you’re staring at me now, waiting for a response. I sip my boiling coffee, for caffeine and not at all as a stall tactic.

“Okay, you kinda have to slow down. I’m still half-awake. Who is this girl?”

“This girl in my philosophy class. Her name’s Suri. I still can’t believe that she’s from Jeonju, too.”

“What a coincidence.”

“Yeah, she just moved here. She’s a music major, piano I think, but she’s just taking this class for fun.”

“Philosophy for fun, huh? I’m more religious theory, myself. But to each their own, right?”

I earn a nervous chuckle, but nothing else. At least, I think you’re finished as I reach for the remote.

Nothing like some daytime television to break up the awkward tension of this moment. But you’re blocking the screen now.

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure,” I say while trying to look around you. Ah, not just daytime television. It’s one of those courtroom shows. The wife always wins on these things. And I manage another slow sip of coffee, because I’m trying not to burn my tongue, before you continue with,

“Do you think I should ask her out?”

My tongue feels like it’s on fire, but I can’t focus on that fact. Not right now anyway. I clear my throat before attempting to answer you.

“Out of all people, everyone you know, you’re asking me for dating advice.”

“Not advice really. Although I should take advantage of that, you being a girl and everything.”

“Congratulations. You finally noticed,” I smirk, “but still. I haven’t even met Suri. I can’t help.”

“Oh, okay. I-“

“Wait, wait. Okay, do you like her like her?” This earns a real laugh, but then you get this smile on your face. You’re looking down at your shoes, but I don’t think they’re the reason for the blushing.

“So, you like her. Do you even know if she likes you? Or if she even likes dudes?”

”She likes guys, I’m sure. At least I think so. And I think she likes me as more than a friend by now. It feels like we’ve known each other forever. Even the first day I talked to her.”

“Wait, how long have you actually known this girl?”

“I’ve known her for a while. I’ve just been too nervous to talk about how I- well, this. I’m just afraid that I might lose her to someone else, you know?”

“Okay, I’m still wondering how I never met her. But anyway! If you wanna ask her out, then do it. It doesn’t sound like anything is stopping you. Right?”

“I guess. It’s just that, I don’t really know one-hundred percent that she’ll say yes. She’s not exactly the romantic type. I don’t think she’s even had a boyfriend or whatever. At least not since I’ve known her.”

“Well, some people are like that. Maybe she’s like me and got sick of parents always going on about how important marriage is. Not everyone wants to be chained down.”




I grab my coffee, to give myself something to do. It is too early for this serious of a conversation, but you are looking at me right now with an expression I don’t recognize. I want to say something brilliant and insightful, but part of me just wants to walk away because I have never been good at discussing silly things like feelings. You’re back to staring at your shoes. I feel like a terrible friend right now, but I can resolve that. I walk the whole five feet from the couch to where you are standing and wait for your staring match with your sneakers to end. It does.

“Steven, I’m sure you’ll do just fine. Who wouldn’t like you? She’s probably just waiting for you to show up with some flowers and a cheesy love letter. You’ll see.”

“Oh, is that what would work for you?” You grin, back to your normal self. “If I just showed up with some red-no, pink tulips and a letter proclaiming my unrequited love of all these years? Handwritten, of course.”

“Yeah, and then we’d ride off into the perfect sunset. But to be honest, that would totally ruin my plan of having like, ten cats and living all alone in a cabin on top of a mountain. You can still visit me when that happens, by the way.”

You shake your head and smile, but it’s more of an attempt to smile. I don’t really know why you seem so down. You act like this girl is already set on rejecting you. I am really not good at this kind of stuff. Seriously. I walk back over to the couch, but stop before sitting down.

“Listen, if you really like this girl, you should just ask her out. The worst she can say is no, right? But if you do get her flowers, don’t go for tulips. Even though those are the prettiest. A lot of girls like roses for some reason. Got it?”

You have that look on your face again, and I still can’t read it. But it’s only for a second. You sit down next to me, a little too close as usual.
“Don’t worry. I’ll remember.”

Contributor's Note: This is a story that I wrote for an English class forever ago. It's always been a favorite of mine, so I thought it would be a good choice.

No comments: