Monday, November 30, 2009

The Angel and I

Poem by Ashley Olson

She didn’t know that I
was there in the graveyard
that cold November night.

I watched hidden by an angel of granite,
as the little, hunched over woman
made her way to a fresh grave.

Light from a rising full moon, glistened off her wet cheeks
as she knelt down to the soft ground and whispered,
“I still love you.”

Though the night was young
it was time to go, the angel and I,
so we drifted away into the shadows.

All the while I whispered back to the darkness,
“I know, I know.”
She didn’t get to hear me.

Contributor’s Note: I am seventeen years old. I have only been living in the beautiful Owens Valley for a year and a half, and have loved every minute of it. I have been attending Cerro Coso Community college since the move. I enjoy horseback riding, competing in many of the local English shows, and fishing for the notorious native Brown Trout.

No comments: